A trip down memory lane
League of Legends isn’t solely about Summoner’s Rift: a long list of various maps and game modes have been available at some point throughout the years.
With Summoner’s Rift being the foundation of the game, Riot Games have experimented with other 5v5 modes, special PvE modes, fast-paced special maps, and even 3v3; May Twisted Treeline rest in peace.
As of right now, Summoner’s Rift ranked and normal games are permanently available in the game alongside ARAM on Howling Abyss. Everything besides that depends on the rotating game modes which are often enabled through various in-game events.
In recent years, players have been used to seeing the likes of URF and One for All, but both take place on Summoner’s Rift. While they are fun and popular game modes, they are only a small fraction of all the game modes that Riot has presented during the years.
All League of Legends maps and game modes
At this point, several maps and game modes have retired completely from the game, leaving players who might have never even heard of them.
We will bring you a list of the various maps and game modes. Maybe you discover something new, or just join us on a trip down memory lane.
All League of Legends maps:
- Summoner’s Rift
- Cosmic Ruins (Dark Star)
- Crash Site (Odyssey: Extraction)
- Crystal Scar (Dominion)
- Substructure 43 (PROJECT: OVERCHARGE)
- Temple of Lily and Lotus (Nexus Blitz)
- Twisted Treeline
- Valoran City Park (Star Guardians)
All League of Legends game modes:
- 5v5 Normal & Ranked (Summoner’s Rift)
- 3v3 Normal & Ranked (Twisted Treeline)
- Dominion (Crystal Scar)
- Ascension (Crystal Scar)
- Black Market Brawlers (Summoner’s Rift)
- Dark Star: Singularity (Cosmic Ruins)
- Definitely Not Dominion (Crystal Scar)
- Doom Bots (Summoner’s Rift)
- Hexakill (Summoner’s Rift)
- Hunt of the Blood Moon (Summoner’s Rift)
- Invasion (Valoran City Park)
- Nemesis Draft (Summoner’s Rift)
- Nexus Blitz (Temple of Lily and Lotus)
- Nexus Siege (Summoner’s Rift)
- Odyssey: Extraction (Crash Site)
- One for All (Summoner’s Rift)
- OVERCHARGE (Substructure 43)
- Ultra Rapid Fire (Summoner’s Rift)
- Ultimate Spellbook (Summoner’s Rift)
Besides Summoner’s Rift and the special maps that follow patch cycles, Riot has also developed the ARAM concept and the Howling Abyss map for years.
At this stage, Howling Abyss has several map variants and has been used for several special game modes that don’t strictly follow the “All Random All Mid” concept.
All ARAM maps:
- Howling Abyss
- Butcher’s Bridge (Bilgewater Event special)
- Magma Chamber (defunct 1v1 map)
All ARAM game modes:
- ARAM (standard)
- Legend of the Poro King (Howling Abyss)
- Snowdown Showdown (Howling Abyss, 1v1)
As the LoL universe continues to develop, Riot will likely introduce new maps or game modes in the future.